Birch sap, tomatoes and cucumber, tobacco, borsch and beetroot are some of the flavours Vasyl Mikulin of Varvar Brew, Kyiv, Ukraine has been mixing into his experimental beers.
Varvar, which started in 2015, lists 71 experimental brews on its website in addition to a core range of 15 beers and 7 limited editions.
One of the more popular ones is a gose, Captian Salt, which has tomato (Captain Rozsil) and cucumber (O`Gurke) variations.
Mikulin also runs Lisopylka bar on Kyiv’s left bank, a former lumber yard that has become one of hot spots among the city’s growing craft scene.
Mikulin brought the following to Leuven Innovation Beer Festival:
- Dragon Milk, Chipotle Milk Stout, 6%: smoked jalapeno pepper and milk stout.
- Et Tu, Brute?, Brut IPA, 7.5%
- Transatlantic Flight, Imperial Milk Stout, 8.8%: a collaboration with US-based Saugatuck Brewing.
- Doppelsticke, Altbier aged on oak chips, 9.4%
- Sour Vine, Wild Ale, 7.3%: wild yeast and two years and a red wine barrel.
Link: Varvar Brew
See the other fantastic Beer Idiots interviews at Leuven Innovation Beer Festival 2019
- André Janssens of Brouwerij Hof ten Dormaal, Belgium
- Pekka Kääriäinen of Bryggeri Helsinki and Lammin Saht, Finland
- Philippe Minne of Brasserie Minne, Belgium.
- Patrik Hellström of Bryggverket brewery, Sweden.
- Casper Vorting and Gitte Holmboe own Bøgedal Brew in Vejle, Denmark.
- Julien Bretheau of À Tue-Tête, Switzerland.
- Iacopo Lenci, brewmaster and owner of Birrificio Brùton, Italy
- Pim Zomerdijk of Brouwerij De Moersleutel, the Netherlands.
- Paul Herbert of UK-based Kent Brewery.
- David Cohen of Dancing Camel Brewery, Israel.
- Robin Barden of Edge Brewing, Barcelona, Spain.
- Breandán Kearney of Siphon Brewing, Damme, Belgium.
- Stephen McGirr of Wicked Weed Brewing, Asheville, North Carolina, USA.
- Vasyl Mikulin of Varvar Brew, Kyiv, Ukraine has been mixing his experimental beers.
- Botond Prischetzky, brand manager at Monyo Brewing, Budapest, Hungary
- Pia Morgenroth, founder of G’Bräu, Berlin, Germany.